This blog is aleast 8 yrs overdue.. cause I have been ready to get married since then! But lately I have been thinking a lot about the stigma of being old and "SINGLE" and realizing more than ever in my life that I am okay with the fact that I am single. I know of God's love for me and know that he is aware of me and wants the best for me, so I am willing to have the faith and make the best of it. Although Single has been my way of life-for my WHOLE life and I have accepted that, there definately are some drawbacks to being single, in a church where marriage is the way to make it in this world! I am serious, I have been to several weddings and cried at them (not because I was single) but because I am happy for the couple and have literally had friends and family come up to console me that I too would find my mate and to not be sad about. That annoys me! Am I not able to feel the same emotins as those who are married? Please don't ever do that to someone it is ANNOYING! hahhah My friend Andrea so beautifully put the hard parts of this stigma on her blog and I stole it cause it is so true! (I did change my age howeever so that it applies to me, sorry Andrea!)
-just because I am single does not make me useless to society.
- i am 30 years old and i can count on one hand the number of times i have been asked out by a guy. (although hard at times - i am fine with this.) however - this doesn’t mean that it is my fault - sometimes it just is the way things are.
- just because I am single does not mean i have more time than those who are married or have children or both. we are all busy in our own ways.
- just because I am single does not mean that I have a problem (although it can sometimes be the case I am speaking for myself. . I am not perfect - I know this - and i have things i can work on - we all have things we can work on.)
- certain things that are said can and do hurt my feelings although i try VERY HARD not to let them. I don’t think I have chosen, nor have most of my single friends chosen to be in my/our current situation. (to some degree)
- just because i am single does not mean my statements, comments or observations about life are pointless. we are all different and come from different backgrounds that is what makes us great.
- being single is difficult for its own reasons and great for its others. Just like being married, having kids, being single again, divorced whatever it is - they all have reasons to not like them or be happy they occurred.
- being 30 and single, does not mean i am anti dating, bitter towards men or too picky.
- just because i am single does not mean that i do not understand that marriage is hard nor do i think it is the only path to happiness and that it is complete bliss.
- being single does not mean that i sit around all day praying that someday mr. right will come along and sweep me off my feet. I have more to live for than the waiting game. however to say that i have never thought about mr. right - would be a lie.
- just because i am single does not mean i am crazy - therefore still single.
- just because I am single does not mean i do not know how to flirt, that i don’t go to parties, hang out with people or have any friends that are guys.
- being single i have had to be independent. this does not mean i do not want to be treated like a lady or that I want to do it all by myself - it just means I have had to.
- just because i am single, a woman and the bread winner does not mean i do not at some point in my life want to be a mom.
- just because finding the one was easy for you(an impersonal you) - does not make it “easy” for me
I realize that all of these things do not apply to all those that are single - however they are my thoughts. I also realize that we all have room to grow, change, improve and learn from each other. I am in no way perfect or have it all figured out. . . again. . . these are just some of my thoughts. I also realize that we could all write a list weather we are single, engaged, married, divorced, widowed etc.
On reflecting on the truths of Andrea's statements, I realized that there are some really funny things associated with the word "SINGLE". Why is it that your best friend could be in the relationship from you know where, your cousin could be in an awful abusive marriage,
but people still feel sorry for you for being single? Is something wrong here? Single life can the most exciting time of your life! Right?!
I'm going to make myself believe this for the time atleast!! Don't get me wrong, I have FANTASTIC examples in my life of AMAZING marriages. I am most definately NOT anti-marriage, it would make me very blessed to get the chance to find love. But while I am single, it's fun to find the quirks in the other.. Get it? Got it? GOOD! So here I have listed the reasons that make single life worth it when you don't have a choice!
The Top 40 Reasons being single can be beneficial...
You can do all sorts of odd jobs so that you have more freedom to travel the world with friends.
You can continue relationships with life-long friends of the oposite sex, without anyone being jealous or restricting it
You can do whatever you darn well please
Shave your legs and the razor is never dull from his face
Not only is your razor not dull, who needs to shave at all now
You can leave bra and other unmentionables in view
You can slump around the house in any old thing
You can go out and flirt as much as your heart desires, without a worry in the world
The toilet seat issue -- need I say more?
You can finally see all the good videos -- the romantic, cheesy, chick flick films
You can get the juice/ice cream/toilet paper/videos/CDs/take-out meals that you want
You can spend as much time as you want with your family and friends
No needless exposure to foulness, burping, gas and so on (unless you have roommates)
Never worry if the milk carton or juice bottles have been directly drunken out of
You are free at a party to talk to who you please, and you don't always have to turn to and say 'Hon, let's go over and talk to so and so
You can watch Oprah, The View, figure skating, and cooking/decorating shows without having to defend yourself
You can buy what you want at the grocery store. So what if you want to have spaghetti four nights in a row
You can talk to your girlfriends for hours on the phone without getting dirty, exasperated looks
No more checking with someone to see if 'it's okay' to tell someone yes or no to an invitation. You can accept on the spot
You don't have to do laundry because he has no clean socks or underware
You can fill the fridge with fresh fruit and veggies, bottled water, skim milk, applesauce and chocolate instead of cold cuts, steak and Mountain dew
No more Xbox or PlayStation, Steven Seagal or Jackie Chan. You are free to watch Emeril and Ming Tsai three times a day if you want
You no longer have to reassure him that he does indeed look like the popular movie stars
You can be happy with who you are, not who he wants you to be
If you are depressed or mad at the world for a few minutes, you don't have to worry about having your 'outlook on life' analyzed
You can buy something for yourself (a new dress, CD, shoes, or whatever) without being asked, 'What do you need that for?
You can eat garlic or onions without a second thought about breath mints
You don't have to give yourself lame excuses for not devoting time to yourself
No one is going to get insulted when you spend the day at the pool checking out the lifeguards
You can have eight hours of undisturbed sleep with the covers all to yourself
You can go to bed in flannel and plaid rather than Victoria
If you tidy up your apartment, it will STAY neat until YOU mess it up again!(unless you have roommates!)
You can spend your paycheck on what you want
You don't have to worry if he will or won't call
No more arguments about things you can't explain
You can have a clean bathroom with the toilet seat where you want it
Not only are your dinners free when you go out on those first dates, but they take you out to nice places
You can have privacy... get dressed, shower and go the bathroom in peace!
You can have a good attitude about being single and write about all of the quirks about being married :)